This is Bennigans Monte Cristo sandwich recipe.
- 9 slices whole wheat bread
- 3 slices cooked turkey
- 3 slices cooked ham
- 3 slices American cheese
- 3 slices swiss cheese
- 1 egg
- 1-1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Place turkey and Swiss cheese on one slice of bread and ham and American
cheese on another slice of bread.
- Place third slice in-between and secure the triple-decker sandwich in
the corners with tooth picks.
- Place egg in mixing bowl, add water and beat together.
- Add salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder.
- Beat batter until smooth.
- Dip sandwich in batter and carefully cover all the sides and surface.
- Carefully place in hot oil and fry until golden.
- When sandwich has turned a warm gold color remove from hot oil and place
on paper towel.
- Let cool for a few minutes before removing the tooth picks.
- Before serving slice into fourths and sprinkle with powder sugar.
- Serve with Raspberry jam.